Friday, January 16, 2009

Not real sure about this blogging thing yet

Well, I've been blogging for the better part of a week now and the jury is still out on how much I like this whole blogging thing. I'll need to give it a bit more time before I decide how big of a blogging fan I'm going to be. It's reminiscent of journaling exercises a speech theerapist made me do in grade school. When I was young I stuttered so badly that I was the kid in he class that would try to shrink down in his desk so as to not be called on by the teacher. Stuttering can be hard for someone that age, you get a lot of kids acting like Billy Madison: "T-T-T-Today, junior!" Also, I noticed that adults tended to talk to you more loudly and slowly when they realized that you stutter. Not quite sure what that was about, I guess they assumed a stutterer's IQ is comparable to his shoe size and I suppose my ensuing looks of bewilderment perpetuated that impression.

Anyway, back to the point, this speech teacher made me journal everyday and I absolutely HATED it. I would wait until the end of the week and 10 minutes before she showed up I would write a bunch of made up stuff for everyday that week. I would rather have been doing new things than writing about things that were already over and done with. Maybe this is why the therapy never worked, huh? I eventually overcame the problem in high school after taking matters into my own hands and purposely taking a speech class and then participating in the high school plays and musicals. Just goes to show: If you want to get anything right, sometimes you just got to do it yourself.

By the way, since I've mentioned speech impediments, who's the smart ass that decided what word to use to describe a "lisp"? I've heard someone mention this before and I feel bad for the guy with a lisp telling you that he has a lisp. "I have a lithp." Really now, that is just cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment