Friday, February 13, 2009

Any Tattoo Ideas?


I must be about the only ex-marine that I know that does not have a tattoo. I've always wanted one but I could never decide what to get. I've never found one design that I really felt I could commit to for all of eternity. When I lived in Japan I briefly thought of putting a male shisa lion on one shoulder and a female on the other. Shisa lions are thought to protect a residence from evil spirits. It seemed kind of fitting at the time.

I've always kind of been fascinated by the Japanese Irezumi style of tattooing but I'd hate to be mistaken for some member of the Yakuza. Especially since I work in manufacturing and I probably stand a greater than average chance of losing a finger. Having a tattoo like that while simultaneously missing one or more digits could lead to some very interesting experiences in certain circles.
Last month my wife was getting her third tattoo and I was looking through the books of designs. In particular I was looking at the kanji symbols (japanese lettering) because I think they are kind of neat, even if they are overdone anymore. I thought the symbols for "ice" and "baby" were especially cool looking. I thought it would be kind of cool to get two "ice" symbols followed by a "baby" symbol. Ice, ice, baby. Ha, ha. My wife told me I'm a dork, but she does that pretty much everyday anyway.
Anyone care to comment on tattoo ideas or share their tattoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment